Friday, June 26, 2009

The Pukey Period aka the First Trimester

I started a night job shortly before finding out I was pregnant. I thought I was exhausted because of the backwards schedule. It was a tired like I've never known before. I felt like the only thing I wanted to do at any given moment was sleep. I thought it made alot of sense since I was adjusting to nocturnal life. I figured I was nauseous all the time because I was choosing sleeping over eating on a regular basis. I thought my fainting episode was from low blood sugar. But I had no idea what coming...
The slightly seasick feeling in my stomach never, ever went away. From about week 5 to week 11 or week 12 I was constantly nauseous. Then I'd try to skip a meal to sleep more or so I wouldn't be late for work and the puking started. It was worse at night for me while I was working because that's when I was up, but it NEVER went away.
Thanks to this wee person in my belly causing ridiculous hormone spikes I puked in a public bathroom for the first time in my life, put that one in the baby book mom. I was going through my pregnancy journal the other day to make the timeline for the first post and I was like "You know I puked alot." and Michael was like "ah, yeah." It landed me in the emergency room at 8wks 3days. All that puking caused some severe dehydration. Fun stuff.
A couple things I had to figure out the hard way just for educational purposes: 1)If you feel even the vaguest notion they you might get hungry in the next 20 minutes eat immediately 2)Before you move (even before you pee, which is tricky) you must eat something 3)Drink water every moment you're conscious 4)The first meal of the day must contain carbs or protein (only fruit is NOT an option) 5)Just like a long car ride, home videos can and will trigger a puking episode 6)Plastic bags in your purse and car are your best friend 5)Anxiety and stress will cause you to puke (which raises your stress level, ironically) 7)DO NOT attempt to brush your teeth right after you get sick (holy gag reflex Batman). I used mouthwash instead. 8) Stay away from the garbage cans, expired dairy and a million other smells that were harmless but now send you running for the bathroom 9)Large amounts of food can be overwhelming when your stomach is constantly upset (I had Mike cut my food into smaller portions before I saw it) 10)Food aversions are not a myth, but they change as you get further along (this little one was not a fan of sweets of any kind or chicken in any form until late in my second trimester) 11)Be prepared for the point when talking about the last time you got sick, makes you sick (I'm not making this up). 12) Throwing up becomes your body's way of making you do less, listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment