Saturday, June 20, 2009

You Don't Look Pregnant

So, I started out a very tiny person (under 100lbs, under 5ft) and I wasn't quite sure how pregnancy weight would hit me. I had been told by several people that small people show faster and I had my fingers crossed for that. The truth is I saw a difference at about 10-11 weeks, but the rest of the world is just seeing it now, 23wks.
When I was about 3 months along Michael and I went out to eat. I ordered a decent amount of food and the waitress remarked "that's alot of food for such a small girl." I smiled and said "well it helps that I'm eating for two." She then proceeded to look me up and down twice furrow her brow and remark "you don't look like it."
It's not just strangers, either. Every time I've seen my father since announcing the pregnancy he says "you don't look pregnant." Somehow even with all the milestones: finishing the first trimester, hearing the heartbeat, wearing maternity clothes, having an ultrasound, there's still something isolating about being pregnant and not looking the part. Your whole world is upside-down and nobody knows.
Of course right around 5months I was waiting in line in the women's restroom dressed in non-maternity clothes (not too tight from before I got pregnant stuff) and this old lady said "Honey, is that your first baby?" I was elated, but it hasn't happened since.
The other down side to being tiny is one I've dealt with my whole life and is now complicated by pregnancy, looking alot younger than I am. My mother vividly remembers telling people she was pregnant and getting remarks like "oh, no you're not old enough for that." Granted I'm 8yrs older than my mother was when she was pregnant with me, but that doesn't stop comments and stares. Also adding fuel to the fire is the fact that Mike's height dwarfs me further and causes people to wonder about a possible indecent age difference/foul play.
For those of you who were on the other side of the comments "Are you sure it isn't twins?" or "How far along did you say? That's gonna be a big baby!" I hope you're not rolling your eyes at me because either end of the comment spectrum stinks. I wish people would just say "congratulations" and walk away sometimes. Something about being pregnant makes you vulnerable to all kinds of remarks and unsolicited advise.
The truth is every women is shaped differently, every uterus is slightly different and sitting in a unique position inside of us and every gestating human has a different favorite position so of course pregnant women come in every shape and size. Hollywood only shows you enormous bellies on glowing women, but there's 3 trimesters in pregnancy why only celebrate the last weeks?
I continue to get slowly, happily (most of the time) fat at my own pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment