Monday, June 29, 2009

The Love/Hate Relationship With Food

Where to even begin...I have to say I've never been one of those people who loves to eat. It fulfills a need and I certainly had cravings before I got pregnant, but I'd always choose sleep over food (pre-pregnancy). Also, I've never had a "significant period of weight gain" prior to pregnancy either. Only ate when I was hungry, ate until had enough and always had high metabolism.
First trimester I didn't EVER want to eat. My body was exhausted all the time and my stomach was upset all the time. If I did get something to stay down early on it was usually carbs. I loved bagels, cereal, crackers and pretzels. Eating something more substantial was always Russian Roulette. I did begin having serious cravings for red meat in my first trimester. But no matter how hungry I felt or how much I was craving something I could never eat very much before I was full. It was eternally frustrating to Mike who would prepare a beautiful supper, sometimes at my request, and then I'd take 5 bites and be done.
For the most part food and I are getting along much better since my second trimester. I still have days where no matter what we have I want something else. I have a much bigger appetite than I've ever had in my life, but I still don’t gorge on huge meals. I just eat 5-10 times a day. While I no longer throw up if I wait to long to eat the second trimester ushered in a period of hypoglycemic reactions to hunger.
Cravings so far have been mainly fruit and red meat. I've also found myself requesting salads (especially Caesar), French onion dip, rice pudding, Mexican food and lots of milk. My cravings have been pretty consistent from the beginning, but my aversions have changed. In the beginning I couldn't deal with sausage, French fries, peanut butter, anything sweet or chicken. Now I'm happily able to eat and enjoy French fries, limited sweets and chicken (especially nuggets). I also prefer things super plain, more so than before if that's possible, but I think it has to do with hormones heightening my sense of smell.
Now if you'll excuse me it's time to eat, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment