Saturday, August 15, 2009

Babysitters

So, Mike and I had a discussion not long ago about the fact that we don't get out much datewise. He says having Isaac as young as he did he had to accept a long time ago that he wouldn't get out much. He says asking for babysittting is not something he's comfortable doing on a regular basis. I think he feels it's an imposition on his family after all he said "I don't have a Katie in my neighborhood."
For those of you who didn't know me then I was the girl to call for babysitting in my middle and high school years. I got certified with the Red Cross in babysitting and first aid when I was 12 and then I hit the ground running. I advertised in my mom's pediatric office, but mostly I watched the neighborhood kids, all of them. I babysat 5-7days a week sometimes twice a day. From newborns to 10yrs olds, only children and families with 6 children I sat them. I used to bring craft projects to entertain them and always left the house cleaner than I found it. Word spread quickly and I remember on nights like New Years Eve corralling 4 or 5 neighborhood kids at one house for the night. I loved it. There were even kids who cried when they woke up in the morning and I was gone.
I was talking to someone whose kids I used to watch and she said "you can't have a baby, you're the babysitter." Funny, I had that exact thought at some point. I'm hoping all that good babysitting karma will come back to me, now that I'm in need. Whether Michael came to grips with having no social life 7yrs ago or not, I have made no such concession (although, I have made many others). I realize they’ll be no leaving the house without at least one kid for a while, but I am unwilling to never go out without them. If I'm going to stay sane and our relationship is going to make it there have to be nights off.

No comments:

Post a Comment