Monday, July 27, 2009

29 Week Appointment

So, I had to fast after midnight last night. That's right 7 months pregnant and no breakfast. I had 5 minutes to drink a large cup of what tasted like very flat orange soda and then in an hour later they would draw my blood to see if my body was breaking down sugar correctly. Yippee!
Most of the hour was taken up by my exam. We discussed the contractions I'd had while on the anti-contractions meds. The OB double checked my cervix and told me the baby's head was really low. I guess she's already assuming the position. My meds stay the same which is a bummer, but I was most afraid of an increased dose. Also, bed rest continues at least until 34wks (that's 5wks from now), but there is a good chance I'll stay on it until I deliver. She did give me the okay for short trips out of the house under very specific circumstances so that's something.

Today was also the day for signing the consent for my tubal ligation. Apparently they're required to try and talk you out of it if you’re under 30 especially if this is your first baby. 25-28yr olds have a high rate of tubal regret. However, I'd done my research and considered my options so I listened to her speech and signed the form with no hesitation. It's a real relief to have that done. The other thing I was hoping would happen was that I'd get my c-section date, but that we have to wait 2 weeks. So, there's that to look forward to.
After the exam I had 30min to kill before they could draw my blood to complete the gestational diabetes test. I was incredibly nauseous at that point and worried I was going to loose it in the last 5min and have to repeat the test. I made it though, just barely. After the blood draw I was too dizzy to stand and the hot nauseous feeling over took me. I guess that's why they say not to give blood on an empty stomach. I thought ahead enough to bring snacks for as soon as the test was over so I popped some crackers and breathed a sigh of relief. It'll be two weeks until I hear the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment