Monday, July 6, 2009

Last OB Appt of the Second Trimester

So, amazingly I'm 7months pregnant and days away from the third trimester. The good news today was that I'm released from pelvic rest, baby's heart beat is strong (150) and my uterus is right where it's supposed to be (24-25"). I reported the "weird" feeling and dizziness recently and was told that blood pressure fluctuations are very common at this stage in the game. Even the phantom "bugs" I've been seeing on and off for a month are actually a symptom of the blood pressure issue. The doctor's advice was "sit down before you fall down." I think that applies to me whether I’m pregnant or not.
I asked about banking blood for the baby and was answered with a shrug. I'll call Red Cross this month and find out. Michael is a universal donor and I'm very concerned about the baby being premature and needing transfusions. My sister had two transfusions as a baby and ended up with liver disease. I know they screen the blood better than they did in the 80's but I think we'll all feel better if the blood comes from family. The other issue related to that is delayed cord clamping. I read if they wait until the cord stops pulsing to clamp it the baby gets a last push of that healthy, steam cell enriched placental blood and they do much better. Which sounds alot more reasonable than $2,000 to store the cord blood in a lab. Well, the doctor says you can't have a delayed cord clamp with a c-section because you're bleeding too much, bummer.
The other fun development since my last appointment is that the bursitis came back and as soon as that calmed down my left hip and knee started swelling alot. Not hands and feet like most pregnant women just my left hip and knee. Well, I expected the doctor to tell me to restrict my movement and keep icing it, but she ordered an ultrasound of my leg to rule out a blood clot. I'm not really worried about that, but I am hoping they'll get a good look and then give me something for pain. I have to go for that Wednesday morning. I'll keep everyone posted.
The other big thing today was that we scheduled the rest of my appts until the due date. My next appt will be in 3 weeks and after that I'll be going there every 2 weeks until the baby comes. At my next appt (July 28th) I have to do my one hour glucose test to make sure I don't have gestational diabetes. I'm not worried about G.D., but I have to be NPO after midnight the night before and the test itself takes an hour. That's an awful long time to keep a pregnant lady from eating. Sigh. Also, we did not confirm the c-section date or sign the consent form for the tubal ligation yet, but we will do those over my next 2 appointments. The end is in sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment