Saturday, July 25, 2009

It's A Girl

I don't know if I've mentioned this yet, but waaaaaaaaaay back in, probably, November Isaac was sitting at the dining room table eating his cereal and out of nowhere he said "Katie has to stay in bed because she's growing a baby." Michael and I were stunned and then Michael asked him if he had a dream and he said "yeah." Then Michael added "was it a girl baby or a boy baby?" and very matter-of-factly Isaac replied "a girl" (in a tone which implied this was common knowledge). Michael grinned ear to ear at this and I replied "don't even think about it." Of course I forgot all about the incident until a few months into my pregnancy and then I started to wonder if he knew something I didn't.

When Michael and I were first exploring the idea of a relationship (and I was trying to wrap my head around him having a child already) I asked if he wanted anymore kids. At that point his answer of "probably not" was met with relief on my end. After we'd been together a while we discussed the remote possibility of someday after we got married maybe having a baby Michael had said "I want us to have a little girl and I want her to look just like you."

We actually had two ultrasounds during the time when you can tell the gender, one at the doctor's office and a private one. The one at the doctor's office was surreal. There she was a real baby not just some tiny gummy bear. A tiny person with fingers and toes. I remember tearing up. All the news was good, she was healthy as expected and surprisingly I was holding up just fine and fibroid free. It was memorable, but nowhere near as exciting and emotionally charged as the second one.
We went to this place in called Ultra Babies. I was so excited I could barely sleep and even though I wanted a girl at this point I was beyond excited just to know. I also figured if it was a boy I already had an awesome name picked out. Michael, no matter what he says, was a ball of nerves. I've NEVER seen him so anxious before. He looked startled and pale as a ghost. When we arrived I was thoroughly impressed with how nice the place was. The waiting room looked like the lobby of a nice hotel. The women who worked there very efficiently checked us in and got us all a beverage. Then we sent Isaac off to the playroom, which he still talks about! We were in the smaller of the two ultrasound rooms and the cozy table and dim lighting made it feel very intimate. I remember her zooming around my belly with the wand and waiting for the baby to come into focus on the screen in front of us. All the sudden there she was moving and kicking like crazy (but I couldn't really feel it yet). After a little while the sonographer zoomed in on the area in question and concentrated for moment. She pointed an arrow on the screen at where we needed to look and then stood up with a huge grin and Vanna White style gestured to the screen. I'm pretty sure Michael and I were holding our breath and then after what felt like hours (in reality it was a few seconds) he asked "what is it?" and sonographer said “what does it look like?" He replied “is it…” to which she answered “a girl!" At that moment all the air returned to my lungs and Michael asked "how sure are you? Like as far percentage?" to which she laughed and said "110%"

It was wonderful. We had our girl. I was so excited I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin. My face started to ache from smiling. Michael and I held hands and stared at her for a bit. On the way home I insisted on ice cream, but as it was a Sunday afternoon nowhere was open. We went to Publix and got pink ice cream, cherry chocolate chip. We went home and quickly celebrated over pink ice cream with our last big secret of the pregnancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment